The length of your dog walks depends greatly on the breed, age and health of your dog as well as their personality. Active breeds such as retrievers and hounds can benefit up to 2 hours of dog walking daily (not necessarily all at once), while smaller breeds such as bull dogs or terriers could be happy with 30 minutes of exercise daily.
It’s important to remember that going outside doesn’t’ necessarily mean walking. You can take your smaller dogs to the park or outdoor café and simply hang out. Fresh air is good for both body and soul, even when it comes to our pooches.
Is 30 Minutes Enough For A Dog Walk?
Playing fetch at a nearby park or letting them run at a dog park are other ways to get that needed exercise. It’s also a perfect solution if you are tiered upon returning from work.
If neither of these options fit your current schedule, hiring a dog walker to come walk your dog for an hour instead of 30min can make a real difference for your mental health and that of your pooch.
Get an idea of what dog walking costs in Chicago by checking outChicago Urban Pets’ Rates.
Can You Walk A Dog Too Long?
If you have a dog walker, make sure you communicate with them the length of walks your pup is used to having. For example, if your chihuahua normally only takes 10 min walks then hangs out in the park for the rest of the time, you don’t want someone suddenly pushes Mr. Pickles to walk 30min. Instead, share what their routine is so that the dog walker can do the same things.
When hiring a dog walker you should be offered a complimentary meet&greet. At Chicago Urban Pets, the dog walker will take notes that are later input to your client portal for reference. Those notes can be updated at any time. Check out a visual of our client portal here.
How Often Should A Dog Be Walked?
Some families with smaller dogs choose to have an indoor potty area as well. This can include potty pads or a potty that has either AstroTurf or fresh grass. Indoor potty options for dogs though are often treated as a safety net rather than a status quo. Unlike cats, dogs have not been accustomed to being indoors all day. Taking your pooch out of the house is really important.
The Benefit Of Hiring A Dog Walker
Here are the benefits I’ve witnessed families experience by hiring Chicago Urban Pets:
- Dogs get more variation in their day when we come play with them and take them out.
- Dogs thrive on routine. Having a dog walker come at the same time will allow your pup predictability and happiness. –>This is why we have created the Happiness Membership Program<–
- Anxious dogs receive more exposure and socialization.
- High energy dogs are less likely to ruin anything in the home when they have been out during the day.
- You will feel less guilty when returning home after a long day and going on a very short walk with your dog.
- Enjoy pictures of your dog while at the office.
- Going out of town is made easier when you already have a relationship with a dog walking company to care for your pet.
If you have any questions about what it’s like hiring a dog walking service feel free to contact us here.
All Sizes And Ages Of Dogs Love Attention
So how long should dogs walks be when living in the city? This depends on many factors and is something you will have to consider for your dog. Whether your pup needs a short walk or a long one, all sizes and ages love attention and snuggles. Set up an initial consultation with Chicago Urban Pets to see if we are a good fit for you and your family.